This sub-forum will open on Sept. 1, 2018

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 1

HB 1143 - School Parking lot handgun and ammunition storage

Post by Papa_Tiger »

https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/Hi ... ill=HB1143

Prohibits school districts from imposing regulations on how a person with an LTC stores their firearm and ammunition while in a school parking lot, garage or other parking area.

strogg

Re: HB 1143 - School Parking lot handgun and ammunition storage

Post by strogg »

and may not regulate the
manner in which the handgun, firearm, or ammunition is stored in the
vehicle
This needs to apply to ALL employer parking lots too, not just schools. There are many companies out there who have rules that say the firearms must be locked, ammo separate, magazines empty, quadruple locked, disassembled in three different storage compartments, etc. OK, maybe I got carried away there, but you get the idea.

Or better yet, prohibit employers from disallowing employees from carrying at work. Then the whole restrictive firearm storage in the vehicle garbage will be a moot point.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

strogg wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:46 pm
and may not regulate the
vehicle
This needs to apply to ALL employer parking lots too, not just schools. There are many companies out there who have rules that say the firearms must be locked, ammo separate, magazines empty, quadruple locked, disassembled in three different storage compartments, etc. OK, maybe I got carried away there, but you get the idea.

Or better yet, prohibit employers from disallowing employees from carrying at work. Then the whole restrictive firearm storage in the vehicle garbage will be a moot point.

I thought TX law already allowed you to keep a concealed firearm in your personal car without any restrictions. There are a few exceptions as to the type of business you work at.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

WTR wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:25 pm
strogg wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:46 pm
and may not regulate the
vehicle

I thought TX law already allowed you to keep a concealed firearm in your personal car without any restrictions. There are a few exceptions as to the type of business you work at.
You are correct. But as strogg pointed out, this bill strengthens better defines protections to the employees of a school. I agree with him that it should also be added to the non school employee parking lot law as well.'

A school district or open-enrollment charter school may not prohibit a person, including a school employee, who holds a license to carry a handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, from transporting or storing a handgun or other firearm or ammunition in a locked, privately owned or leased motor vehicle in a parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area provided by the district or charter school and may not regulate the manner in which the handgun, firearm, or ammunition is stored in the vehicle, provided that the handgun, firearm, or ammunition is not in plain view.
The bold/underline section above is what is proposed to be changed.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Return to “2019 Texas Legislative Session”