MacBook Air 13" or Toshiba Portege Ultrabook 13"

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
snatchel
Posts in topic: 1

MacBook Air 13" or Toshiba Portege Ultrabook 13"

Post by snatchel »

Ok, let me start out by saying I am not a computer person. Zero experience, hate them. However, they are an essential tool for daily life now-a-days, and my old trusty Toshiba laptop, as well as my wife's old HP are down for the count. They might last another year or so.. and then it will be new laptop time.

What do we use our computers for?
-web surfing
-school (research, writing papers, etc)

We don't run any fancy-schmancy programs on our computers, don't even really watch movies or anything like that. Neither of us need a huge amount of storage because we are also planning purchasing a fileserver in the near future to store pictures and whatnot.

That said, We both like the looks, size, and weight of these two little laptops. The Toshiba can be got for 700 bucks or so, probably cheaper. The MacBook isn't going to be had for less than $950. And yes, price does matter. We have grants that will pay for these new computers.. but we don't want to spend more than necessary. So, Techies--help me out. What are the disadvantages and advantages of both of these guys?

I'd rather not get into a Mac VS PC discussion... just what you think would be best for what we will use them for.
No More Signature

SSGMWP

Re: MacBook Air 13" or Toshiba Portege Ultrabook 13"

Post by SSGMWP »

For surfing and research, all you need is an Apple Ipad at about $500-$600. Easy fast, wireless setup is easy. I use my Iphone and Ipad for traveling and a Dell XPS for my home pc and business. Its just all a matter of preference. Good luck finding what you need. You might try to go to a PC store and try a few out to compare.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

My Iphone does everything an Ipad will do only smaller. So I have not seen a need for an Ipad. To me a Macbook Air is for when you want to type. You cannot type on a Ipad.

I type so I was looking for either one of these too. But it is real easy once you go to the apple showroom to end up with an apple laptop instead of the smaller MacBook Air. Then you want to play dvd's on the plane and pretty soon you have a new ten pound Dell laptop and its probably only $400.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

just a fyi heads up ...if going w/pc ...Windows 8 ... expected release date October 2012

MS resellers & system builders got a note June 2012:
Windows Upgrade Offer Now Available: For a limited time, customers who purchase a qualifying Windows 7 PC will receive an offer for a downloadable copy of Windows 8 when it becomes available
might be something you may or may not consider asking if considering purchasing

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hh771457" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Windows 8 compatibility Compatibility Center for Windows 8 Release Preview http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ ... enter/Home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

RottenApple
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RottenApple »

Hardware-wise Macs are the way to go. They last much, much longer than comparable PCs and keep their resell value a lot longer as well. Believe it or not I've got a couple of old G3 systems that still run perfectly.

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

RottenApple wrote:Hardware-wise Macs are the way to go. They last much, much longer than comparable PCs and keep their resell value a lot longer as well. Believe it or not I've got a couple of old G3 systems that still run perfectly.
I can do you one better... Somewhere around here (or in my parents' garage) I've got an old '040-based Quadra 660AV that, AFAIK, still works. Man, I wonder how old that thing is by now? Hmm...

Warning: Off-Topic History Lesson Ahead...
So, the Mac started out in 1983 using Motorola's 68000 CPU. Apple continued using the 68k architecture until 1994 when they switched from Motorola's nearly latest 68040 ('040) CPUs (I say "nearly" because Motorola did make a 68060 CPU in limited quantities, but Apple never released anything using it) to IBM's PowerPC 601 architecture. It was all PowerPC (some IBM, some Motorola) from 1994 to 2006, when Apple switched to Intel CPUs (FWIW, I still think PowerPC would be a better architecture, if IBM or Motorola had developed desktop/mobile CPUs past the G5/G4, respectively... :grumble ).

So where were we? Ah, yes, my Quadra 660AV still works (I think) after nineteen years.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

iPad. Or MBAir.

Mac offers a superior end user experience.

Lexus vs Kia IMO.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

ScooterSissy

Post by ScooterSissy »

If those really are the only uses you have, and are concerned mainly with price - you will gain little by spending the extra money. As a matter of fact, you might want to go with the cheaper unit and buy a warranty that covers screen breakage and liquid damage (I buy those for all of my laptops, and laptops have been my personal exclusive choice as an IT professional for over 10 years).

If pure build quality and reliability are the primary considerations, Apple gets the nod.

If compatibility with web based applications, the Toshiba has a slight lead (sorry Apple fans, there many websites that require Internet Explorer, but few that require Safari).

Consider carfully though, whether web-surfing and school really are the only things you're going to use them for. How soon do you graduate? What are the possibilities you'll want to use them in the corporate world, or a small business if you start your own? In short, compatibility with software may be an issue. Straight standard business software and compatibility, the Toshiba would be the route to go. If you lean more towards music, graphic arts, or creative type needs, Apple would be a better choice.

I guess the short version though, if those two listed needs are your real requirements, go with what your gut tells you that you like.

Munk

Post by Munk »

I just bought the new 13" MacBook Pro... the transformation for me is now complete. iPod, iPad, iPhone, 27" iMac, and not the 13" MacBook Pro. I've drank the kool aid and am now a believer.
III%

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

Munk wrote:the transformation for me is now complete
I don't see the Apple TV in the list! :lol:

Joking aside, I'm in the same boat. iPhone, iPad, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, MacMini, Apple TV, etc. I used to rip on Macs, but they are just too far a superior product to be ignored. I drank the kool aid, it is sweet, and I want more. :lol:
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

LikesShinyThings

Post by LikesShinyThings »

Based on your and your wife's personal history, you're familiar with the Windows platform. You know what to expect from the interface.

Before you buy a Mac anything (computer, not iphone, ipod, i<insertkoolaidobjecthere>), I strongly suggest you at least go to an Apple store and see what the Mac interface is like. Mac/Wintel are two different interfaces, I've worked on both, and have a strong preference for one and dislike for the other. You may or may not be the same, but it would be worth getting some time on the Mac platform before you buy to see if you love it, hate it, or really don't care either way.

Let's face it, you'll probably have the computer, whichever you buy, longer than you remember what you paid for it. I've owned quite a number of computers in my day, and I have yet to have one just plain die dead on me - I upgrade due to hardware obsolescence, not hardware failure. And I use my computer 9-10 hours a day (8 hours work, then play time).
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

After reading what some of you are saying regarding possible software compatibility I realized I neglected to mention something. You can run Windows (and any Windows-based software) on a Mac. You would have to buy the Windows OS, but install is a breeze. Boot Camp is extremely user friendly and, when installed on Apple hardware, is faster and more stable than on typical PC hardware. Or you can use Parallels Desktop to do the same thing. Boot Camp is free and is part of the Mac OS, but Parallels Desktop allows you to run Windows while still booted into Mac OS. :tiphat:

SATX-Scrub

Post by SATX-Scrub »

Go here http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and hang out in the switchers threads. See what its all about. I love my iMac, my Apple TV, my iPhone...you will too. The koolaid is ice cold!
“He looked like an accountant or a serial-killer type. Definitely one of the service industries.”
― Kinky Friedman, Elvis, Jesus, and Coca-Cola
http://atomicnumber13.blogspot.com/

jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

I'll add my 2 cents. Macs are "cool" and no question it's a good product. As you see in this thread, there are many ways to compare and evaluate. It really depends on which of the variables are most important to you.

What I heard you say is that you need very basic functions. Email, word processing etc. I also heard you say that price was important.

If those things are what's really most important, then i don't see anything to justify paying more money. A couple items i didn't hear you mention as important that I suspect would be are weight and battery life however i think your two choices are very similar.

I think both require an external drive to install software or you must download any software you want to install as there is no dvd drive. You might look at what they both charge for external dvd drives.

A Mac user might say you don't need technical help but I'll mention something I read a long time ago for making a Mac vs Windows choice.

Who will you call for help? What do they know how to work on?

Hope this gives you usefull ideas.

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”