The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Swissy
Posts in topic: 4

Robbed within 6 days of moving to Texas

Post by Swissy »

Howdy All

I am a Texas Aggie (class of 08) and recently relocated back to Texas from living in Colorado for 5 years as my fiance and I decided that Houston was the best place for us to start our lives together. On my 6th night here we were walking home and robbed at gunpoint by 3 men (all armed).

We live in the Eado part of Houston (I-45 and Cullen), with all good neighbors. We were walking home from a coffee shop where we were having a glass of wine. We got within 40 feet of a vehicle parked on the side of the road in well lit space, and three doors of the car flew open and before I knew it we had guns to our heads. Her brother was with us and they both dropped to the ground right away, I laid on top of my fiance as I would not let anything happen to her. They demanded her purse, our wallets, car keys and cell phones. I have no clue how this happened, but when I laid down on top of her I placed my phone between us under my chest and told them I did not have one when they demanded it. They searched my pockets, her brothers pockets and took her purse. As they were getting back in the car they had the audacity to say "Don't call the cops, we know where you live" (as my fiances' license has our address on it). Once they drove off fast enough for me to not see any plate, I quickly grabbed the two of them and we ran behind the house it happened in front of until the police showed up.

My fiance has her CHL but was not carrying as we were going out for a drink, either way I feel it could have turned ugly or there would be a stolen firearm on the streets if she were. We were outnumbered and it was scary. I have never felt so violated in my life. The next few nights were of little sleep and my fiance keeps having nightmares of them coming back for us. I have two pistols and my fiance has hers, all three were by my side as I was looking out the window that night waiting for them to come back and try and take her car. Either way, I do not believe and living scarred and having to look over my shoulder everywhere we go, and have my CHL course in the morning (10/24) at Top Gun Houston. I refuse to let those animals disrupt our lives and want to be ready next time.

This forum looks great, and I just wanted to post this message as a warning for everyone to watch their back and keep doing what they are doing. Looks like a lot of great information and support on here. Stay safe everyone!

MONGOOSE
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Robbed within 6 days of moving to Texas

Post by MONGOOSE »

Sorry for the welcome home. Happy to hear everyone is OK.....Gig-um

couzin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by couzin »

Sorry about your unfortunate experience, but pleased you all are ok. Welcome to the forum, and welcome to Texas despite what happened.
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Sorry to hear that happened to you, my wife was robbed at gunpoint and it had a lasting effect on her so I know how it can be. There is a lot of good info on this forum so read up, I would also suggest watching some videos at this link https://activeselfprotection.com/ to get more familiar with some tactics used by criminals. The more videos you see of how criminals react the easier it is to be able to recognize the situations you want to avoid.

Topic author
Swissy

Post by Swissy »

Thanks all, it can happen anywhere to anyone, so no need to be sorry.

Those videos on active self protection are downright terrifying, but eye opening at the same time. My biggest fear is having someone in my home and I come home, with getting my CHL I have no excuse not to be walking in to my home without being armed.

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

Welcome to the forum. I am also sorry to hear about the incident but I am flad nobody was bodily harmed and you all did the right thing.

:tiphat:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

Glad yall are ok. On the bright side youve gain a lot of wisdom & will be able to take that with you through life. I doubt the thugs will ever darken your door as they probably ditch everything they couldnt sell.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

Glad your okay. Consider yourself lucky. Many times victims of robbery are killed even after complying with with their attackers.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

Honestly that area of town is known for it's high crime rate. I have trouble imagining anyone who wasn't connected to one of the schools knowingly moving there. Sure they try and tell you it's an up and coming area but that just means it's not even close to there yet. You have to be aware and careful or there will be consequences. I'm so sorry that this happened but thankfully it wasn't any worse.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Welcome back to Texas and to the forum. So sorry this happened to you.

Use this as a learning experience. Think about what you could have done, both with and without a weapon. Situation awareness is a key factor in your safety. It is sad that the world has come to having to look over your shoulder but it is a fact of life now.
One thing you may want to start doing while walking is get used to looking into vehicles rear windows as you approach. Unless they are blacked out, you should be able to at least see if there is a figure inside. If so, either make a wide path or cross the street to put as much distance between you and them and also to be ready if they do exit the vehicle.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

Ditto on all of the above, and hopefully you're in your CHL/LTC carry class right now! :tiphat:
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Don't stop with the CHL class. Get more training, maybe IDPA or similar. While not exactly like "real life", it's better than nuttin', at least getting you used to performing under pressure of sorts. You don't want to be a Fredo!

Athletes practice, musicians practice, pilots fly simulators, to acclimate themselves to "game day" as close as possible. There are shooting schools, weekend training sessions, that will sharpen your skills, and are actually a great deal of fun.

One quote I recall is that owning a gun doesn't make you a gunfighter any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician. Something like that.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

What's the status of the case? Do they have any leads? Did you happen to get the license plate? The best thing for you and your fiance is to see them behind bars.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

EEllis wrote:Honestly that area of town is known for it's high crime rate. I have trouble imagining anyone who wasn't connected to one of the schools knowingly moving there. Sure they try and tell you it's an up and coming area but that just means it's not even close to there yet. You have to be aware and careful or there will be consequences. I'm so sorry that this happened but thankfully it wasn't any worse.
I couldn't agree more! If at all possible, get out of that area now. I was born and raised in Houston, my law office was downtown for almost 30 years and I'm all over Houston on business. (I live in Friendswood.) I carry a gun everywhere and disarm only when legally required. I would never walk in that area at night unless I had a lot of well-armed, well-trained buddies along for the walk.

Thank God (literally) that none of you were hurt.
Chas.

Topic author
Swissy

Post by Swissy »

Hey All,

Thanks for the continued support, I just got home from passing my CHL course! It was very informative.

As stated before, my situational awareness is heightened and I really like the tip of looking in to car windows. I will proceed with caution for sure and make that a general tactic of walking anywhere.

I have been in martial arts my entire life and I would really like to try Krav Maga, just have not had many options where I have lived. I noticed there are a couple of Krav Maga schools along my commute to and from the Woodlands. My fiance and I are not going to buy in our current neighborhood in light of what happened, and looking more towards the Woodlands (which I know this sort of thing can happen anywhere).

I will continue my training for sure. I would like to take a holster class if anyone has any recommendations?

Return to “New to CHL?”