"I, Sniper", a Bob Lee Swagger Novel

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
OldCannon
Posts in topic: 3

"I, Sniper", a Bob Lee Swagger Novel

Post by OldCannon »

By page 2, Jane Fonda takes a sniper bullet to the chest. Ok, not really Jane Fonda, but one "Joan Flanders", the pseudonym Jane Fonda in Stephen Hunter's latest Bob Lee Swagger novel, "I, Sniper". Thus begins a fun journey into the world of Bob Lee Swagger, and a high-action novel that's an ejoyable read for anybody that's enjoys a thing or two about shooting.

There are a lot of famous names in the book in pseudonym form, Carl Hitchcock (Carlos Hathcock), Chuck McKenzie (Chuck Mawhinney), Tom "T.T." Constable (Ted Turner), and many others. Stephen Hunter weaves a tale of the famous sniper, Carl Hitchcock, framed for brutally murdering 4 anti-war activists from the Vietnam war era with his rifle. Bob Lee Swagger's old FBI buddy, Nick Memphis is in charge of the investigation and is under pressure to close the case. However, Bob gets some information that tells him that Carl might not be the real shooter. A phone call to the FBI begins a cross-country adventure as Bob races against time to clear Carl's name and discover who is really behind the murders...and why.

One of the enjoyable aspects of the book was the sniper vs sniper conflict that came near the end of the book, and the investigative lead-up to it. Some of the scenarios seem too contrived though, and the final gunfight pretty much descended into just being silly. Still, it's a fun page-turner and it's great to see Bob Lee Swagger out there kicking ass and taking names. Stephen Hunter also takes some great stabs at the newspaper buisness and the anti-gun mentality.

I give it four stars out of five.

You can find this book on Amazon for about $15. If you subscribe to American Rifleman, this month's issue has an article on Stephen Hunter. You can also see some video interviews of Stephen here: http://www.americanrifleman.org/Video.a ... 086&cid=23" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Stephen has written several Bob Lee Swagger novels, and one of them ("Point of Impact") was turned into the popular movie "Shooter", starring Mark Wahlberg.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

prossound
Posts in topic: 2

Re: "I, Sniper", a Bob Lee Swagger Novel

Post by prossound »

I really enjoyed the book as a whole. loved the "jane fonda" shooting. took a while to explain to the wife why I fell out of my chair laughing. there where a few inacuracies but for the most part it was a fun read and would probably make a watchable movie.

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Skiprr »

Thanks for the review.

Speaking of the piece on Stephen Hunter in American Rifleman, I've wondered what his opinion is of Mark Wahlberg playing Bob Lee Swagger, wondered if he had any input into that decision. He talks about the movie in the interview, but isn't asked--or comments on--Wahlberg and how the actor seems to be completely contradictory to the values Hunter tries to put into his books.

Guys like Wahlberg make you respect even more the Hollywood types--like Charlton Heston and Tom Selleck--who don't speak out of both sides of their mouths.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Topic author
OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

Skiprr wrote:Thanks for the review.

...He talks about the movie in the interview, but isn't asked--or comments on--Wahlberg and how the actor seems to be completely contradictory to the values Hunter tries to put into his books.

Guys like Wahlberg make you respect even more the Hollywood types--like Charlton Heston and Tom Selleck--who don't speak out of both sides of their mouths.
I'm going to speculate here: Hollywood is a very odd place, fueled by colossal egos everywhere. It's possible that Stephen, who was present during some or most of the production of Shooter (and perhaps crafted a friendship with Wahlberg), doesn't want to say anything about it. Could be that Wahlberg's private opinion and public opinion about guns are at odds because he wants to continue finding the right kind of offers. Could be that Stephen doesn't want to comment on other people's opinions. He's an experienced media person, so I'm sure what he does and doesn't say is measured in some ways :)

One could also point out that Mark Wahlberg's opinions on guns, being an ex felon and unable to own one anyway, don't mean spit.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I read the American Rifleman piece and determined to buy the book. I'm a Bob Lee Swagger fan. How can you not be a fan of a man who carries 1911s, and heavy barreled bolt rifles chambered in .308 — my two favorite things?

I just hadn't actually ordered it yet. Thanks for the review, and for not spoiling it by revealing the ending.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

cougartex

Post by cougartex »

I just bought the book, thanks for the review. :clapping:
Cougars are shy, reclusive, and downright mysterious... :txflag:

Topic author
OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Thanks for the review, and for not spoiling it by revealing the ending.
That would be downright un-Texan if I did that :txflag:

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Just finished it...

What was it??? two years ago...I bought a Rem 700, and put only 168's through it...

I'm considering naming the rifle "Bobby Lee"... :biggrinjester:
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

The Annoyed Man

My copy from Amazon just arrived today via fedex.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

stevie_d_64 wrote:Just finished it...

What was it??? two years ago...I bought a Rem 700, and put only 168's through it...

Even Bob Lee would tell you that it depends on the barrel twist. My Remington 700 VSF, with a 1:10 twist, shoots the 175 grain MatchKings even better than the 168s. But my 1:11 twist M1A prefers the 168s, and my 1:12 twist Ruger M77 .308 prefers bullets in the 150 grain range.

#TINVOWOOT

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
stevie_d_64 wrote:Just finished it...

Even Bob Lee would tell you that it depends on the barrel twist. My Remington 700 VSF, with a 1:10 twist, shoots the 175 grain MatchKings even better than the 168s. But my 1:11 twist M1A prefers the 168s, and my 1:12 twist Ruger M77 .308 prefers bullets in the 150 grain range.
Got to love it...Right out of the box, and with a little skill, you just can't mess up...Once you dial it in, it is pretty fun...

My nephew (17 yrs old) had never fired a rifle like this before...Told him how to set it up, and he's popping clay pigeons on the berm at 300 yds...He's hooked now...The Marines are going to love him! :thumbs2:

Now I heard I skipped a novel, and am going to have to backtrack, and get it quick...Muh Dad is probably halfway through that one now... :biggrinjester:
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

extremist

Post by extremist »

prossound wrote: there where a few inacuracies but for the most part it was a fun read and would probably make a watchable movie.
I just finished the book Friday and I loved it also. Great book.

So I'm a stickler for accuracy also, but admit I don't remember any in this book - thought he got everything right.

So do tell, what inaccuracies did you find? Not artistic/writers license mind you, but genuine gun fact inaccuracies?

Thanks,
James
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Jacob Staff

Post by Jacob Staff »

I am about half way through the audio book that I picked up at the local library. It is the first Bob Lee Swagger book that I have read but it will not the last. Pretty good so far.
TXDPSA TSRA NRA

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

In book form, heroic, sixty-ish guys aren't generally cast as the protagonist, so when one comes along, I take notice.

I really enjoyed it - Though as has been observed earlier, the ending went skittering far off the rails...in an enjoyable fun way.

O6nop

Post by O6nop »

I've read a few of Stephen Hunter's books, in no particular order and it doesn't seem to make any difference for understanding a plot. The first book I read was "the Day Before Midnight" and it had nothing to do with Bob Lee or Earl Swagger. The latest book I read was "Point of Impact". Trouble with that one was I already saw the movie, "Sniper" on which it was based and they weren't similar really at all. I don't know which I liked better.
I believe there is safety in numbers..
numbers like: 9, .22, .38, .357, .45, .223, 5.56, 7.62, 6.5, .30-06...

Return to “Books & Videos”