traffic stop and car vault or safe

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
powerboatr
Posts in topic: 3

traffic stop and car vault or safe

Post by powerboatr »

not that i carry stuff thats illegal
but i want to put in a small vault in my center console and my current bed tool box is a lockable with a very heavy duty latch, you would need an angle grinder to get in

my question is a road side stop and mr or ms policeman decides they have PC to order me out of truck and search truck.
after i insist no and get a supervisor.

are you required to unlock those locked compartments without a warrant or ??? my keys are on my person with truck key so unless policeman took the key they would not be able to get in
plus the vault is a number lock so no key..
i cant seem to find a definitive answer about my rights and what i have to open or refuse without real warrant.

maybe i am over thinking sorry
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Re: traffic stop and car vault or safe

Post by carlson1 »

If they found something they could always get a warrant and tow your car to a secured location. They could then force it open on a complete search. There would have to be some heavy probable cause I would think. I would think a meth pipe, illegal weapons, a good amount of marijuana, etc…

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

carlson1 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:32 pm If they found something they could always get a warrant and tow your car to a secured location. They could then force it open on a complete search. There would have to be some heavy probable cause I would think. I would think a meth pipe, illegal weapons, a good amount of marijuana, etc…
yes i agree if illegal items were in plain sight and they had PC to do a search
but i dont have such items in my car , house or EVER.
but i have visited areas in our state that police there seem to be overzealous on issues that dont have PC . west tawakoni is one that demands a SSN for your ticket..which they dont have a reason to have as they have your DL etc. so i have road side argued at 3 am and won. a ticket for 2 over is crap.
i see why at 3am they think you could be up to no good, but sometimes its just 3am and your heading home from seeing family ? no curfew?

i never have ever consented to a search roadside. i am not doing illegal activities. but my vault i have coming made me question some issues that might arise if i get pulled over

if leo feels so strong about a search and can go through the legal process of a warrant, at least there has to be more than a 3am stop if you know what i mean
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Tex1961 »

Take this with a grain of salt. But I remember reading a story about a guy who refused to give his password for a search. If I remember correctly, it went through the courts until it was finally determined that he could not be forced to give that up. That would violate his fifth amendment rights. With that being said, get a password-protected gun vault for your car.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

I am like you I don’t have that stuff either. I am just not going to allow a search to be made. If I am asked to step out of the vehicle I am going to do as told. However I am rolling up the windows and as I step out I am locking the doors with my key fob. Dropping the keys in my pocket and be as polite and kind as possible. I support the police, but not surrendering my rights.

It used to be back in the day that if you had a locked brief case or a locked glove box even a if they searched could not unlock those things without a warrant. I don’t know the CCP as I used to.

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

thanks folks
thats makes me feel like not such a dummy today
i use lots of common sense and politeness at stops, but i also value my rights and tend to lean on that side vice the OK search side.

i dont do unlawful things so there is no need for me to prove that i am innocent. i wont get in a shouting match but the recording will know how i feel and my take.

Return to “Off-Topic”