No place but Montana

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 3

No place but Montana

Post by philip964 »

https://news.yahoo.com/special-roll-sus ... 41468.html

Montana is not a good place to have sushi.

LDB415
Posts in topic: 2

Re: No place but Montana

Post by LDB415 »

No place is a good place to have sushi. That's what stoves are for. But the farther from the ocean the more suspect it would seem.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Yikes!

I love mushrooms.... :leaving
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

LDB415 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:42 pm No place is a good place to have sushi. That's what stoves are for. But the farther from the ocean the more suspect it would seem.
In USA, "sushi grade" requires the fish to have been frozen to kill any parasites. I worry more about a clean kitchen than bad fish.

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

RoyGBiv wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:47 pm
LDB415 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:42 pm No place is a good place to have sushi. That's what stoves are for. But the farther from the ocean the more suspect it would seem.
In USA, "sushi grade" requires the fish to have been frozen to kill any parasites. I worry more about a clean kitchen than bad fish.
Officially, the terms "sashimi-grade" and "sushi-grade" mean precisely nothing. Yuji Haraguchi, owner of the Brooklyn-based Osakana, a fish shop specializing in sashimi, recalls using them for marketing purposes when he worked as a sales representative for wholesale fish distributor True World Foods. Back in 2004, the company was trying to expand its customer base beyond Japanese restaurants, and Haraguchi's mission was to convince other restaurants to serve their customers raw fish besides tuna.

https://www.seriouseats.com/how-to-prep ... ood-safety

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Grayling813 »

I prefer my sushi “southern style,” battered and deep fried.

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

Grayling813 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 6:08 pm I prefer my sushi “southern style,” battered and deep fried.
+1 (or 2 or 3)
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Well, I wouldn't buy gas station sushi, but I’m going to otherwise disagree with you. I’ve eaten sea urchin right out of the shell while the spines were still wiggling. Mmmm-mmmm good!
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Rafe
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Rafe »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 6:59 pm I’ve eaten sea urchin right out of the shell while the spines were still wiggling. Mmmm-mmmm good!
<scribble scribble> Just adding to my list of things that I'm perfectly okay with having never tried...
:biggrinjester:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 6:59 pm
Well, I wouldn't buy gas station sushi, but I’m going to otherwise disagree with you. I’ve eaten sea urchin right out of the shell while the spines were still wiggling. Mmmm-mmmm good!
Wife and I were in Maine for vacation with friends. Our rental place was a short walk from a dock where the lobstermen unloaded their catch every day. We gorged on many, many lobsters that week. On the last day of our stay my friend and I walk into the dock house to find it filled with crates of sea urchin. Apparently, it was opening day of the season for them. We're talking about the Uni bounty when the guy running the place comes over and expresses surprise that we knew what they were.... He was happy to show us his tools for opening and extracting the yummy stuff, gave us samples of different qualities/colors, etc. and handed us a giant plastic Solo cup full of Uni, gratis, to go with the lobsters we bought. It was filled with the leftovers from the urchins he opened to test/sample... I'm sure my cholesterol was setting records that week. :lol:

Neither my wife nor my friends' like the stuff, so, we happily gorged it down ourselves while making lobster.

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

I had Conch on the beach in Mexico. It was Ceviche and not Sashimi but as close as I could find. And it was probably the best I've ever had as far as Ceviche goes.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

clarionite wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:55 am
I had Conch on the beach in Mexico. It was Ceviche and not Sashimi but as close as I could find. And it was probably the best I've ever had as far as Ceviche goes.
Fed Conch to stingrays. Fed a sea urchin to a grouper. Conch are better looking inside the shell.

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

philip964 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:06 am
Fed Conch to stingrays. Fed a sea urchin to a grouper. Conch are better looking inside the shell.
They may look better inside the shell, but they're definitely tasty outside of it.

Started raising rabbits recently. My wife and daughter think they're cute. I think they look delicious.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Fresh clam cocktails from the street vendors in Ensenada. So good.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Off-Topic”