When Seconds Count - report on Gun Free Zones

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Shorts
Posts in topic: 2

When Seconds Count - report on Gun Free Zones

Post by Shorts »

I hope I have posted this in the correct area.

Here's a new report on Gun Free Zones

Video in link!
http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story.as ... 7534a6de3c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When Seconds Count: Stopping Active Killers
Reported by: Brendan Keefe
Email: Brendan.Keefe@wcpo.com
Last Update: 11/14 1:22 am

There have been so many school shootings over the last 40 years that researchers have been able to develop a profile of the typical mass murderer.

They're called "active shooters" or "active killers" and their crimes play out in a matter of minutes.

After the Columbine High School massacre in 1999, police changed their tactics.

The two student gunmen killed 15 people and themselves before the SWAT team was in position.

Commanders realized that it simply takes too long to assemble a tactical team in time to stop an active killer.

The new tactics developed in response to Columbine involved creating an ad-hoc tactical team using the first four or five patrol officers on the scene.

They would enter the shooting scene in a diamond formation with guns pointing in all directions.

This technique was employed by police departments around the country.

Then 32 people were killed by a lone gunman at Virginia Tech in April 2007.

Seung Hui Cho shot 47 people, 30 fatally, in the university's Norris Hall in just 11 minutes.

That means every minute he killed more than three people and shot a total of four.

Once again, the gunman continued shooting until a four-officer team made entry and then he killed himself.

Law enforcement reviewed its tactics.

Based on the Virginia Tech data, experts determined the first officer on scene should make entry immediately with an aggressive attack on the shooter.

Every minute the officer waits for back-up, another three or more people could die.

In other words, while it was once considered suicide for a lone officer to take on an active killer, it is now considered statistical homicide for him not to do so.

Tactical Defense Institute in Adams County, Ohio developed one of the first "single officer response" programs in the nation.

TDI was teaching the tactic even before Virginia Tech. Now the National School Resource Officer Organization (NSRO) is using TDI instructors to teach school resource officers how to confront a gunman immediately.

Locally, all Blue Ash police officers are trained in these new tactics in large part because their chief, Col. Chris Wallace, is also a TDI instructor.

The other statistic that emerged from a study of active killers is that they almost exclusively seek out "gun free" zones for their attacks.

In most states, concealed handguns are prohibited at schools and on college campuses even for those with permits.

Many malls and workplaces also place signs at their entrances prohibiting firearms on the premises.

Now tacticians believe the signs themselves may be an invitation to the active killers.

The psychological profile of a mass murderer indicates he is looking to inflict the most casualties as quickly as possible.

Also, the data show most active killers have no intention of surviving the event.

They may select schools and shopping malls because of the large number of defenseless victims and the virtual guarantee no on the scene one is armed.

As soon as they're confronted by any armed resistance, the shooters typically turn the gun on themselves.
Don't Mess with Texas Women

2/15/09 - Class Date
3/18/09 - PIN Assigned, Processing App
8/07/09 - Plastic in hand

Lodge2004
Posts in topic: 1

Re: When Seconds Count - report on Gun Free Zones

Post by Lodge2004 »

No new information for most on this site, but its a huge suprise that a media outlet posted this. :clapping:

For many in this world, the concept of NOT being protected while in a GUN FREE zone is just too difficult to wrap their minds around. It's such a great sound bite...NO GUNS = SAFETY. The unavoidable fact that bad people seek out these types of environments to engage in mahem is scarry and it's also why many choose to just ignore the facts. It's easier to stick with warm and fuzzy thoughts...

pedalman

Post by pedalman »

People want to be protected. They know they need to be protected. They just don't want to see protection.

Topic author
Shorts
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Shorts »

It's definitely refreshing to see this in the news.

I would like to see them take the information further than Law Enforcement's response. While we as CCWers see this as confirmation of our position, the general public does not hear the same message we do. There still remains a disconnect that CCWers are what fills the gap between the initiation of a crime and the time when LE arrives on scene. No where in that report did law enforcement mention the benefit of armed citizens. They strictly focused on LE responses and responses time.

Fact is gun free zones are what they say they are, easy opportunities for "active shooters". But what wasn't address, still, is the time BEFORE LE arrives.

I don't know what the policy is for LEs and actually acknowledging a citizen exercising his/her legal authority. We normally here the usual "well we don't recommend citizens yadda yadda yaddaa...." :roll: But remember, the law does give authority to a citizen to immediately defend his life, and as also specified by state statutes, a third party, from a variety of crimes by using lethal force to stop the suspect in action.
Don't Mess with Texas Women

2/15/09 - Class Date
3/18/09 - PIN Assigned, Processing App
8/07/09 - Plastic in hand

WEC

Post by WEC »

Very refreshing indeed, and let's hope that these sorts of reports don't fall on deaf ears.

The wussification of America includes unwillingness to see guns as just another tool. Put a hammer in the hands of a criminal and he can use the hammer to kill or maim innocents just as he would with a gun. People who are ignorant about guns are usually scared about them. Unfortunately, I've noticed more and more these days that people have no idea about guns and do not want to know about guns, so that they can spew hate about guns and gun owners as evil, homocidal, sociopathic lunatics. It's fun when I get into arguments with these people, who usually resort to raising their voices and pointing fingers, whereas I calmly break down their rhetoric with logical statements and statistics. Eventually their arguments get relegated to pouting and claiming that my figures are fabricated or inaccurate, and I just have a private smile.

I've been doing the best I can to educate people about guns. Everything is less "scary" to the uninformed or misinformed when they are taught in a proper manner. I always tell them that I don't care if they like guns, just that they respect guns. In my experience, gun people are some of the nicest people in the world because we share that equal level of respect for one another.

Sorry, veered off topic. :tiphat:
"We are oft to blame in this / 'Tis too much proved -- that with devotion's visage / And pious action we do sugar o'er / The devil himself."
Μολὼν λαβέ | NRA Lifetime Member

catwoman

Post by catwoman »

pedalman wrote:People want to be protected. They know they need to be protected. They just don't want to see protection.
And heaven forbid most of them should be expected to actually be responsible for their own (or others') protection!! :eek6

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

Now tacticians believe the signs themselves may be an invitation to the active killers.
You think? :roll:
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”